With beautiful activities designed for 4 to 12-year-olds, the whole family has fun learning together.
Each of our Family Unit Studies explores ten topics through integrated learning. In The Backyard Naturalist Family Unit Study, you will explore:
- Topic 1: What is Nature?
- Topic 2: Using a Field Journal
- Topic 3: Colors in Nature
- Topic 4: Trees
- Topic 5: Tree Identification
- Topic 6: Birds
- Topic 7: Backyard Birds
- Topic 8: Insects
- Topic 9: What is a Compass?
- Topic 10: Nature & Art
We start each topic by igniting curiosity...
Interesting Fact to Spark Curiosity
- A great deal of learning will happen all on its own when children are interested in what they are learning about.
Discussion Question to Start a Dialogue
- Allow yourself to go wherever the conversation goes! Children can learn so much from having discussions and conversations.
Curated YouTube Video with Experts in the Field
- Carefully curated YouTube videos allow your child to visually immerse themselves in the unit's topic.
Book Suggestion for a Literacy-Rich Environment
- Read together or encourage independent exploration with these library book suggestions that naturally ignite learning.
...then engage and expand with hands-on learning.
Hands-On Activity for Deep Learning
- Engaging activities target specific skills, such as science, art, social studies, geography, cooperation, critical thinking, early engineering, and creativity.
What's Happening to Extend Learning
- Learn more about the science behind the hands-on activity with this helpful information.
Math or Literacy Enrichment for an Extra Challenge
- Each topic includes a word-based math problem or a literacy activity modified to three levels so they are fitting for the whole family.
Tips & Printables for Easy, Beautiful Learning
- Each Family Unit Study includes an introduction with tips, as well as printables to beautify and extend learning.
|Number of Pages (Coursebook)||28|
|Number of Pages (Printables)||8|
|Recommended Age Range||4 to 12 Years|
|Program Length||2 to 4 Weeks|
|Available Formats||Digital PDF
Reignite a love of learning in your homeschool.
I’m a second year homeschooling mom, first time creating a curriculum on my own. We are LOVING the family units. We are using them for our 1st, 4th, and 6th graders, and our 4 year old is tagging along. They are just so well put together: they’re engaging, fun, and long enough to gain great information but short enough to keep interest at all levels.
I love the differentiation for the different grade levels of our kids, too. It’s empowering to see them recognize they all might be learning the same material, but they have different levels of understanding to go along with the knowledge.